As we age, the need to retain our youthful look accentuates. We try every possible night cream and magical serum to tighten our skin and keep it from sagging. Eventually some of us simply give up and some of us make the call of going under the knife to change the way things are. But surgical face-lift is no longer the only way to retain the youthful appearance of your skin. With medical advancements happening in the dermatological field, several skin tightening devices and procedures have come in the market that offer non-surgical face lift solutions.
The foundation of all non-surgical face lift procedures is the use of some form of energy or external aid to rejuvenate collagen production in the skin. As we age, our neuro-muscular tissue weakens, collagen structure deteriorates and adipose tissue reduces. As a result, the dermis layer fails to regenerate new epidermal cells and wrinkles start appearing. Eventually problems like drooping brows, sagging jaws and cheeks also start appearing which can only be corrected by skin tightening or face-lifting procedures. Since surgical face lift procedures are not for everyone, here are some of the widely accepted and most effective skin tightening devices used for non-surgical face lift procedures –
- Botox: Botox is the most popular filler based liquid facelift procedure. An injection of refined botulinum toxin in the neuromuscular tissue of the desired area is known to reduce facial wrinkles, crow’s feet and laugh lines. As a non-surgical face lift procedure, botox has gained immense prominence in the cosmetology world. Despite the fact that the procedure needs to be repeated every 3-6 months and takes 1-3 days to come into full effect, it is still the most preferred face lift procedure in the market.
- Liquid facelift: Liquid facelift procedures include Juvaderm, Perlane, Radiesse, Sculptra and Restylane. As the name suggests, in this kind of skin tightening procedure liquid fillers are injected into the dermal layer of the skin. Most of these fillers are hyaluronic acid based and plump up the skin as well as fill deep wrinkles.
- Thermage: This radiofrequency based non-surgical facelift procedure is also commonly known as the heat facelift. The radiofrequency energy heats up the dermis layer of skin, enabling replacement of old and wrinkled skin surface from within. The biggest plus point of this treatment is that just a single session is enough to execute the procedure and get effective results.
- Venus Fat Freeeze: This revolutionary facelift procedure incorporates radiofrequency and magnetic pulse technology, combined together to rejuvenate the skin. Dermal fibroblasts are proliferated through the magnetic pulses and new blood vessels are sprouted to initiate collagen restructuring from within. As no radio or infra waves are used in this procedure, no resultant heat is produced. Therefore, this technology can be used for all skin types.
- TriPollar: This is yet another radio-frequency device used for non-surgical face lift, wrinkle reduction, facial skin contouring and skin rejuvenation procedures. Controlled radio frequency is directed at the area to be treated with the help of three or more electrodes. This controlled and focussed radio-frequency treatment starts showing the effects of the treatment almost immediately. However, multiple sessions of treatment are required to achieve best results.
- Laser Facelift: This non-surgical option uses Infra-red rays aimed at the collagen tissue in a controlled manner to heat it up and tighten its structure. Research has proven infra-red technology to be much more controllable than radiofrequency. However, unlike Thermage, Infra-red laser facelift needs at least six sessions to become actually effective.
- Electrical Facelift: Instead of using radiofrequency or lasers to heat the collagen tissue in the dermal layer, electrical facelift procedure uses unique skin tightening devices to send electrical pulses into the musculature underneath the skin. This treatment not only stimulates cell function but also improves circulation and metabolic rate. In addition to skin tightening, electrical facelift helps in skin tone improvement and wrinkle removal. Multiple sessions are, however, required for the treatment to take effect.
- Cosmetic acupuncture: This ancient Chinese remedy for various diseases and health benefits is also an excellent non-surgical face lift procedure. Tiny needles are inserted into the skin to improve circulation and facilitate natural regeneration of collagen tissue. Acupuncture is also known to make your skin glow and recapture a youthful appearance.
Although long term conclusive studies have not been done to prove effectiveness of most of these non-surgical face lift procedures, they surely are a boon for those who are too afraid to go under the knife but want to do something about their ageing face. As majority of these treatments also have very short down time, these fit splendidly into the busy lifestyles of those who can’t afford to take leave for aesthetic or cosmetic reasons. But before you get busy with one of these procedures, consult your dermatologist about your skin type and which procedure can suit your needs best.