Hair is one of the defining characteristics in humans. Women especially, are very particular when it comes to their hair. They will always go for the best hair oils and the best beauty treatments for their hair! Everyone in this world has a ‘bad hair day’. There are multiple hair problems such as hair thinning, dry hair, split ends, hair loss, etc. To get rid of all such hair problems, people generally seek help of different hair oils. Let’s see if oiling hair really helps or is it just a myth?
There are a variety of hair oils available such as Dabur Vatika hair oil, Coconut oil, Olive oil, Jojoba oil, Castor oil, etc.
Vatika Hair Oil –
This oil contains 8 magical ingredients viz. Brahmi, Triphala, Neem, Henna, Kapurkachri, Rosemary Oil, Soya Extracts. This is a coconut oil enriched with vatika. Vatika hair oil helps in betterment of your hair, making them thicker, stronger, and shinier and also helps in controlling dandruff.
Castor Oil –
Though Castor oil can be really sticky and messy, it is one of the best oil treatments for hair. It contains some excellent nutrients like Vitamin E, minerals, proteins, amino acids, omega-6 fatty acids etc. which are needed for the hair to be healthy. It also possesses anti-fungal and anti bacterial properties. Castor oil prevents hair loss, prompts hair growth, reduces breaking of hair and split ends, can get you rid of a dry scalp, serves as a great conditioner and moisturizer for hair and reduces infections of the scalp.
Jojoba Oil –
It is obtained from the seeds of evergreen jojoba shrubs (Simmondsia chinensis). Jojoba benefits your hair in the following ways:
- Due to the fact that, its molecular structure is similar to that of sebum (natural oil produced by hair), it does not hamper the scalp’s natural balance.
- It may help in treating dandruff and infections of dry scalp as it has antibacterial properties.
- Helps in hydrating your hair.
- Jojoba works as an emollient – it helps repairing hair that is damaged due to frequent styling and heat.
- Jojoba may add up volume to your hair by imparting an appearance of thickness.
- Jojoba works as a conditioner for your hair, by giving them a shine, elasticity and softness.
- Since jojoba is rich with mono-saturated and saturated fats, it gives strength to the hair fibers by penetrating the hair follicle.
Olive Oil –
Olive oil is rich in Vitamin A, E and antioxidants. It helps in protecting keratin in hair and sealing in moisture. Olive oil can make your hair softer and shinier.
Is oiling really good for hair?
- Many a times we hear people telling us that oiling your hair and keeping it overnight and then washing it off the next day, is really beneficial for hair. But the reality is way different! Oiling your hair and keeping it overnight can cause your hair to become dry and cause Dandruff or Seborrheic dermatitis (scaly, flaky itchy scalp condition).
- Many people have the habit of keeping their hair oiled throughout the day to help keeping their hair in place and to reduce frizzy, dry hair. Is it really helpful? Is it benefiting your hair in any way? Imagine the amount of dirt that must be sticking to the hair due to the oiliness. It in fact makes your hair more messy and dirty.
- You use face wash to remove the dirt and oil from your face. Isn’t it an ironical situation if you are using oil for keeping your hair in place?
Using oil for your hair everyday is not advisable. Oiling your hair twice a week is beneficial. But instead of keeping it overnight, you can wash your hair off after 30 minutes. This treatment will definitely work for the betterment of your hair.
Best Hair Treatment:
There are a variety of Best Hair fall treatments available in Mumbai for hair growth which include Stem cell therapy for hair, PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injections for hair growth, hair transplantation, QR 678 hair growth factor injections, etc.
Stem cell therapy for hair includes activating already existing stem cells on the scalp. The treatment may provide signal to follicle stem cells to give off chemical signals to nearby follicle cells. These then respond by regenerating and making healthy hair.
Platelet Rich Plasma injections work by causing miniaturized hair follicles to become larger and healthier, thereby prompting hair growth.
Hair transplantation involves taking hair from the back of your head and putting in front.
QR 678 injections- QR 678 Injections consist of 6 hair growth factors which help stimulating hair growth.
In summary, oiling is NOT good for hair! In fact, it causes dandruff and seborrhoea which in turn causes loss of hair. Oiling your hair 30-45 minutes prior to washing your hair is a good practice. Keeping your hair oiled overnight is just NOT advisable!
Dr. Rinky Kapoor is a top/ Best dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist, Laser Skin Expert Doctor, currently based in Mumbai, India. She has won many awards as the Best Dermatologist in India, Top 10 Skin Doctor in India, etc. She specializes in all skin diseases & conditions and given her training as a dermato-surgeon, provides non surgical liposuction surgery, laser lipo & lipoplasty etc for weight reduction & cellulite reduction. Dr. Rinky Kapoor is trained at the iconic National Skin Centre, Singapore and completed her Fellowship in Cosmetic Dermatology & Lasers at the world renowned Stanford University, USA.